Obviously it didn’t, but it certainly ruined 8 years of anticipation.
As I’m writing this post, there are only
two one zero episodes left to the end of Game of Thrones, and I’ve lost all hope. I guess you can say I’m really into Game of Thrones: I’ve read the books, followed the show since the beginning, have the wikipedia (The World of Ice & Fire) and I even have a mug!
My disappointment is immeasurable and my Sundays nights are ruined.
This last season was completely unknown territory for everyone. There are no books that cover it. I’m not totally sure what kind of creation freedom the writers got, if George R. R. Martin even gave any guidelines or if the writers received a Walking Dead “do what you want card”, but this season felt lost. Compared to the previous seasons, where you got the hardcore and ruthless GOT experience that made the show famous, this season looked like a made for fans, but not for the fans of the series, but for the fans of the dineyfied versions of today’s TV content.
Since the beginning of this season I’ve been gathering bits of the show that didn’t really made much sense to me or that annoy me. As always, there’s stuff that you don’t really pay attention, but the reddit community reminds you later, so the following items are a mix of both.
- Fan fiction dragon riding – I mean, I’m sure they had to show us that Jon could also ride dragons, since he doesn’t have golden hair, what else could define him as a targaryen? I’m fine with that. But the lovefest in the ice, with a waterfall in the back and a dragon watching you doing it?
- Is Bran the town fool? – He seems to know a lot about the menace coming, including that the Night King has Viserion under control. Why does nobody asks him anything? I agree that Sansa might be a little uncomfortable since the whole “you were beautiful the night you were raped”, but Sam appears to understand the extent of Bran’s power, so why there’s no communication?
- The long 50 minutes night – 8 years of build up to the Night King, 8 years of build up to the army of the dead, wights, white walkers… all of that gone in 50 minutes. The final boss that was promised didn’t even draw his sword… Oh, but he’s immune to dragon fire.
- Show inconsistency I – Do you remember when Viserion destroyed the wall to let the dead army through? How come it now can’t destroy a simple wall where Jon Snow is hiding?
- What the hell was Bran doing during the the Battle of Winterfell? – He simply plugged in and said bye and left to play with ravens. (From reddit: “He was busy wondering if 7 seasons of night king story-building was worth it.”)
- What was the purpose of having the dothraki charge into the dark? If Melisandre hadn’t show up they would be completely in the dark. I believe they weren’t even equipped with dragonglass…
- Dragon battle – It was meant to be one of the highlights of the show. The epicness and hype of this battle was supposed to be glorious. However it was so dark most of the times, that the blue flames were the only things guiding us through this battle.
- Azor Anay – “Imagine a decade of theories, picking apart lines and lineages, gathering your evidence meticulously to support your position and then Arya just stabs a guy and destroys the threat entirely. “
- Show inconsistency II – Do you remember when the expedition took a wight from north of the wall to kings landing inside a wooden box? How come they were buffed so much that they now can break magical stone crypts?
- What was the Night King goal? – Vengeance against the humankind? Why was he targeting Bran? What did he do before this battle?
This is it for now. I have another set of “complains” for future posts. I’m not sure I have 100 items, it just feel like a lot. I hope I can strike trough some of these items in the next two episodes, or that we get some answers by George R.R. Martin, if he ever releases The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.
This is a epic tale, and it would be impossible to give screen time to all the adventures from A Song of Ice and Fire. I just feel the show has been consistently great and it fell this last season. As I said before, it look like they are lost without books.